One of my goals during Me Made May was to not buy any RTW clothes. I was successful in this endeavor, but that didn't stop me from window shopping a few times. The photo below was taken outside of Banana Republic.
When I saw these shorts in the window, I couldn't believe how much they looked like the pair of pink shorts with white circles I had just finished making using McCall's 6930. Here's the front view. They have the same front pockets, but no front fly.
Instead, they close in the back with a zipper and and overlapping waistband with, in this case, snaps. The patterned called for a bar and hook, but I didn't have one on hand. There are two patch pockets on the back of the shorts. If you look close enough, you can see them.
I'm pretty proud of some of the details on these shorts, like the front slash pockets. I made this pair with a remnant of quilting cotton from the clearance rack. Unfortunately, this means that they are also see-through and not wearable. Hence, no pics of me wearing them.
After using these as a muslin, the shorts fit reasonably well. I'm not sure if I'll make another pair, though. The design with a rear zipper is pretty bizarre. I've never seen a RTW pair like this.
It was a great learning experience, though. These are my first pair of pants/shorts without an elastic waist (cough, pajama pants, cough). They came together quickly, and were finished in one weekend sewing day.
Pattern: McCall's 6930
Fabric: Quilting cotton from Joann's remnant bin
Cost: <1 yard of fabric @ $3/yard = $2 + zipper and interfacing from stash = $2 ($3.40 if you count the cost of the pattern)
Time: Approximately 4 hours