Blog

Monday, June 23, 2014

Chambray Miette

This is my second Miette by Tilly and the Buttons.  It is a simple wrap skirt that is great for beginners. If I remember correctly, the first version was my first PDF pattern.  I upcycled the first one out of a green recycled tablecloth.  Green in two ways--color, and it was made with recycled bottles. I wore it during the fourth week of Me Made May, but in general I don't wear it very often because it is so distinctive.  One great thing is that it doesn't matter when i spill on it!



On to this version...The fabric for this skirt is a medium-weight chambray from Joann Fabrics. Chambray is a dream to work with.  It presses so well, has minimal fraying, and doesn't slip or slide at all. Fortunately, I have about a yard of it left, so I'll be able to make something else out of it too.  


I'm a big fan of this version, much more so than my first.  Because the fabric is thinner, it's much easier to tie a bow in the front.  I also cut a size smaller and shortened the skirt by about 4 inches. This version also came together much more quickly, thanks to my improved skills.


The most complicated part of the skirt is a hole in the waistband for the other end of the waistband to pass through. I used remnants of a floral sheet for the facing of the waistband, for a little bit of a unique touch.  You can see it peaking through the skirt here. 


I don't have a jean skirt in my wardrobe right now, so I think this will serve as a grown-up version.  The bow in the front can be a little twee, but I don't have the skills to tie a proper bow anyway.  The more modest length also makes it more grown-up, IMO. 


All in all, this was a very successful make.  It's much cleaner than my first, and more my style.  I think it will get a good bit of use, especially once my lifestyle changes from that of a 9-5 office worker to that of a grad student (wahoo!).


Abstract
Fabric: Medium weight chambray from Joann's plus scraps of a floral sheet
Cost: 2 yards of chambray @ $9/yard = $18
Time: Approximately 4 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment