Blog

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Floral NewLook 0180

I bought this pattern on a whim.  The NewLook patterns are always on display racks at Joann's for just a few bucks.  This one caught my eye because of the fun floral styling.  I couldn't resist and had to make a version of my own. 


This is NewLook 0180. It is a very simple dress without darts or princess seams, just pleats around the neckline for shaping.  I made the version with the lower pleated neckline and straight skirt. The dress is unlined and closes in the back with a lapped zipper. My first lapped zipper, actually. I got a little confused with the top and bottom of the zipper, but overall I think it turned out pretty well. 


Despite its simple shape and construction, I did have some fitting issues with this dress. I made a straight size 8 and ended up with a gaping back neckline.  Fortunately, I have been reading sewing blogs for a while now and had read how others have fixed this problem.  I took a large triangle out of the center back seam (about an inch and a half on each side going about halfway down the back bodice) and re-inserted the zipper. That seems to have done the trick. 


The fabric is a slightly stretchy cotton, also from Joann's, that I love. If they made it in different colors, I would already own it. I bought two yards and have a decent amount of fabric left over.  I'm hoping it's enough to make a pencil skirt. 


The dress is super comfortable, even after a long day of sitting at my desk. I like the versatility of this dress, and the pattern in general.  It is appropriate for work, parties, and maybe even a more casual wedding.

Abstract
Pattern: NewLook 0180 (the link lists a different pattern number, but the pictures are identical)
Fabric: Floral cotton from Joann's
Cost: 2 yards of fabric @ $10/yard = $20 + $2.50 zipper =  $22.50 ($26.50 if you count the cost of the pattern)
Time: Approximately 8 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment