Blog

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Moneta for my Momma


This is my third Moneta.  My previous versions (see here and here) were also black and white, but this one isn't for me.  I made it as a birthday present for my mom! I was fortunate enough to see my mom the weekend after her birthday and conned her into taking pictures in her new dress, with a pair of heels I brought just for the occasion. 



Fortunately, my mom and I are just about the same size, so I could try the dress on and know more or less whether it would fit her.  It also helped that I had her try on my earlier Monetas and knew that they worked on her.  For this version, I chose the original version 1 with a self-lined bodice and the collar that comes with the pattern. This collar has an interesting detail on the back, rather than the front.


The fabric is a polyester/spandex blend knit from Joann's.  When I was shopping for fabric for this dress, I saw two fabrics that reminded me of my mom: this black and white polkadot knit and a floral knit with pinks and purples on a cream background.  I texted my mom to ask whether she likes polka dots or florals better, trying to be covert about making her a birthday present. In typical mom fashion, she replied "yes."  I was on my own, so I bought plenty of each fabric and took a few weeks to consider my options. Obviously, I ended up going with the polka dots. I'm thinking about making either a dress or a cardigan out of the floral fabric. 


This dress came together pretty quickly.  Since I've made it twice before, it was a piece of cake. I made it entirely on my sewing machine, using a zig-zag stitch for all seams, and the twin needle for the hem. 

Abstract
Pattern: Moneta by Colette Patterns in size extra-small
Cost: 2.5 yards of fabric @ $8.09/yard + clear elastic  from stash + thread from stash = $20.23
Time: 6 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment