Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Chambray All Day: Simplicity 1688



Well, apparently I just can't get enough chambray.  Right after my chambray Miette, I used up the leftover fabric on a dress. 



For this dress I tried out a new pattern, using Simplicity 1688 by Cynthia Rowley.  Initially I bought this pattern because I liked the simple design of the dress. I ended up making the jacket first, though.  It doesn't fit very well, and I've already worn it one time.  I never wore it during Me Made May, so I may be donating it soon. 


Back to this dress. It is a pretty simple make with just five pattern pieces plus straps. It features a contrast neckline in the front and has a lined bodice. For the contrast piece, I used a leftover scrap of gray cotton from a pre-blog project.  I used a small piece from a lightweight silky sheet for the lining.


The trickiest part of this dress was definitely the fitting.  Since this is a big 4 pattern, I knew that if I went with my measurements the dress would be far too large.  So instead of the recommended size 12(ish), I started off by cutting out a size 8. It turned out that the size 8 was too large as well.  I took in both side seams by about an inch in the bodice, but left the skirt its original size, just straightening out the curves at the hip.  This worked pretty well and I am happy with the fit.  Next time, I think I'll just cut a size 6. 


I wore the dress almost immediately after I finished it to watch fireworks on the fourth of July.  I styled it with a white button up and hat to prevent sunburn. I think this will be a pretty practical dress for me in North Carolina.  It's nice and cool, but also looks somewhat put together. 

Abstract
Fabric: Medium weight chambray from Joann's plus a thrifted sheet for lining and grey contrast cotton
Cost: Free!  All materials were leftover from other projects
Time: Approximately 6 hours


No comments:

Post a Comment