Blog

Friday, November 28, 2014

Fall Sewing Recap


Back in early September, I laid out some goals for myself for fall sewing between September and Thanksgiving:
  1. Julia Cardigan
  2. Grad school bag
  3. White Archer button-down
  4. Birthday presents for some special ladies in my life
  5. Fall napkins
For the sake of transparency and accountability (there's the researcher in me talking), let's see how successful I was. 



1. Well, I made three Julia Cardigans, all in the month of September: a short-sleeved pink version, a long-sleeved dark pink version, and a tan gift version. I'd say that was a success.  



2. I decided to make the Senna Tote for my grad school bag, and finished it in October. I can now report that I've carried it to class every day since posting it, and it works great. I've gotten a few compliments on it, too!



3. I went all-in with my White Archer, making a muslin and everything. I'm really proud of this make. My only regret is not spending the money for nicer fabric. 




4. I managed to make birthday presents for my sister-in-law, niece, and mom. Success!  For my sister-in-law, I made a neutral colored Julia Cardigan. I made a fall dress for my niece, using fabric picked out from her mom. Speaking of moms, I also made my mom a Moneta for her birthday.  



5. I slightly downgraded this goal from fall napkins to Thanksgiving napkins. I have napkins cut out in two different fall/wintery fabrics, but lost steam and haven't assembled them yet. 



I stuck pretty well to my list this season. I only veered off my plan twice. Back in September I sewed myself up a circle scarf, which took a whole 20 minutes to whip up. I also made a wearable muslin of the Go Anywhere dress by Sewn. I'll reveal that soon. In addition, I also shortened a suit jacket and two pairs of pants for my boyfriend. Sewing really can be a practical skill, not just a fun hobby. 

This fall has been an awesome learning experience in so many ways. First of all, I am about to finish my first semester in grad school. In terms of new sewing techniques, this fall I made my first BurdaStyle pattern from a magazine, sewed vinyl for the first time, completed my first fitted garment for someone other than myself (granted it was a knit), finished a button-down using exclusively French seams, and tried out a buttonhole chisel. And, I didn't even make any t-shirts this season!! Yay for trying new things! 

Now to think up some new projects for the winter. I don't think I'll have any problem with that...

No comments:

Post a Comment